Thursday, May 5, 2016

Sometimes Disaster Strikes



I have stayed close to home today checking on a couple of gals that I knew were about to go. This afternoon I went to the shed to find that Hilda had just aborted a fetus that looked like it had been dead at least 6 weeks. I generally have a pretty strong stomach and can jump in and do what needs to be done. I have pulled numerous lambs and it never has bothered me, but this was a little different. After I got her up in the jug and realized there was another one in there, I was headed down the drive to the feed store for some shoulder length gloves (which I don't normally keep on hand) when my dear friend and neighbor said she would come over. Suffice it to say, it was very unpleasant, but she jumped right in and pulled a really huge live ram lamb. Afterwards I ran to town for some medicine, came back and moved momma and baby to a different stall, cleaned up the infection and nastiness that was all over the lambing jug. This afternoon I have a new appreciation for good friends and warm showers. It's all part of farm life, but the good friends help make it a joy.


6 comments:

  1. Oh bless your heart, and your friend's. It is so comforting and helpful to have a friend show up at a time like that. She is a good neighbor! What a sweet little, or big, baby ram.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete