Monday, November 11, 2013

Fiber Fling


Last weekend I attended Fiber Fling which was the first time I had been able to take any fiber related classes.  This is a small but growing festival and I look forward to attending next year.

One of the classes I was able to attend was Raging Combs, taught by Susan MacFarland.  I really enjoyed it and afterwards treated myself to a set of combs by Indigo Hound.  I wanted to learn to comb so I can turn that dirty neck wool like what is on the right in the picture below to what is on the left.  Fun fun!


                      

I also took a class by Robin Goatly called Spindles of the World.  I already owned a South West Spindle made by him and was wanting a Tibetan Spindle.  You get to chose one of the three spindles that we explore in class to take home with you.

      

I really only expected to recieve something like a student spindle or a lower grade spindle, but that was not the case what so ever.  After trying different ones I decided I really wanted a heavier whorl so Robin gave me his.  I couldn't believe it.  Isn't it pretty!


                       

Here is a close up of the inlaid turquoise and pretty wood grain.  I love how long this thing spins.

    

I'm really looking forward to watching this little festival grow and am making plans already to attend next year.  I might even be teaching a class!  More on that later though.

1 comment: